Stretches of Loop 101 in the Phoenix area are scheduled to be closed or restricted this weekend (Aug. 7-10) for improvement projects, according to the Arizona Department of Transportation. Drivers should allow extra travel time and consider alternate routes while the following weekend closures are in place:
- Northbound Interstate 17 narrowed to one lane at the State Route 74/Carefree Highway interchange from midnight to noon Friday (Aug. 7) for pavement maintenance. Northbound I-17 on-ramp at Dove Valley Road closed. DETOUR: Allow extra travel time and expect delays at times Friday morning. Drivers on State Route 74/Carefree Highway can consider using northbound North Valley Parkway to Pioneer Road to access northbound I-17 beyond the work zone. Please stay alert and be prepared to merge safely when approaching or traveling through the work zone.
- Eastbound Loop 101 (Pima Freeway) closed between Cave Creek Road and Tatum Boulevard from 10 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Monday (Aug. 10) for pavement improvements including diamond grinding of concrete pavement. Northbound SR 51 ramps to eastbound Loop 101 (including the HOV lane ramp) closed. Eastbound Loop 101 on-ramp at Seventh Street closed. DETOUR: Consider exiting ahead of the closure and using alternate routes including eastbound Union Hills Drive to northbound Tatum Boulevard.
- Northbound Loop 101 (Price Freeway) closed between Loop 202 (Santan Freeway) in Chandler and Loop 202 (Red Mountain Freeway) in Tempe from 9 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Monday (Aug. 10) for pavement improvements and lane striping. Loop 202 (Santan Freeway) ramps to northbound Loop 101 closed. US 60 (Superstition Freeway) ramps to northbound Loop 101 closed. Northbound Loop 101 ramps to Loop 202 (Red Mountain Freeway) closed. Westbound US 60 on-ramp at Alma School Road closed. DETOUR: Traffic can detour on northbound Price frontage road or consider using northbound Dobson Road or McClintock Drive. Alternate freeway routes include westbound Loop 202 (Santan Freeway) to westbound I-10, northbound SR 143 (Hohokam Expressway) to eastbound Loop 202 (Red Mountain Freeway) to reach Loop 101 beyond closure.
- All I-17 on- and off-ramps at Happy Valley Road closed from 9 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Monday (Aug. 10) for removal of roundabouts and installation of temporary traffic signals. Happy Valley Road also closed in both directions at I-17. Northbound I-17 frontage road closed between Happy Valley Road and Agave and southbound I-17 frontage road closed between Jomax and Happy Valley roads. DETOUR: Consider alternate routes including using the I-17 interchanges at Pinnacle Peak or Jomax roads. Note: Please plan on several closures to continue for approximately 60 days following this weekend’s work including closures of the northbound I-17 on-ramp and southbound off-ramp at Happy Valley Road.
- State Route 347 closed between I-10 and Maricopa Road from 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday (Aug. 8) for pavement work. Eastbound I-10 on-ramp at SR 347/Queen Creek Road closed. I-10 off-ramps at SR 347 limited to eastbound turns to Queen Creek Road. DETOUR: Drivers should plan on using alternate routes including Wild Horse Pass Boulevard and Maricopa Road or the I-10 interchange at Riggs Road.
Real-time highway conditions are available on ADOT’s Arizona Traveler Information site at az511.gov, by calling 511 and through ADOT’s Twitter feed, @ArizonaDOT.