Drivers in the East Valley and north Phoenix will be impacted for the second consecutive weekend with freeway closures, according to the Arizona Department of Transportation.
Stretches of northbound Loop 101 (Price Freeway) and northbound Interstate 17 in the Phoenix area are scheduled to be closed this weekend (July 17-20) for improvement projects, according to the Arizona Department of Transportation. Drivers should allow extra travel time and consider alternate routes while the following weekend closures are in place:
- Northbound Loop 101 (Price Freeway) closed between Warner Road and Rio Salado Parkway from 9 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Monday (July 20) for pavement improvements including diamond grinding of the concrete surface. Northbound Loop 101 on-ramp at Ray Road also closed. DETOUR: Allow extra travel time and expect delays. Alternate freeway routes include using westbound Loop 202 (Santan Freeway) to westbound I-10 and northbound SR 143 (Hohokam Expressway) to reach Loop 202 (Red Mountain Freeway). Loop 101 traffic can detour on northbound Price frontage road. Local drivers should consider using northbound Dobson Road or McClintock Drive as routes to connect with US 60. Northbound traffic can re-enter Loop 101 via Broadway Road.
- Northbound I-17 closed between Cactus and Thunderbird roads from 2 a.m. Saturday to 5 a.m. Monday (July 20) for pavement work. Northbound I-17 on-ramps at Dunlap and Peoria avenues also closed. DETOUR: Allow extra travel time and expect delays. Consider alternate routes including Loop 101 from East or West Valley areas to connect with I-17 beyond closure. Northbound I-17 drivers should consider exiting ahead of the closure and using northbound 19th or 35th avenues.
- Northbound State Route 51 ramp to westbound Loop 101 (Pima Freeway) closed from 10 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Monday (July 20) for widening project. Westbound Loop 101 narrowed to three lanes between SR 51 and Cave Creek Road. DETOUR: Northbound SR 51 drivers can exit to northbound Black Mountain Boulevard and use westbound Deer Valley Road to southbound Seventh Street to reach westbound Loop 101.
- Northbound Loop 202 (South Mountain Freeway) ramp to westbound I-10 in west Phoenix closed from midnight to 4 p.m. Saturday (July 18) for construction. DETOUR: Northbound Loop 202 drivers should consider exiting to westbound Van Buren Street and using northbound 67th Avenue to reach westbound I-10.
- Southbound Interstate 17 off-ramp at Dunlap Avenue closed from 9 p.m. Sunday to 5 a.m. Monday (July 20) and from 9 a.m. Monday to 7 p.m. Friday (July 24) for lane striping and city of Phoenix paving project. Northbound I-17 off-ramp at Dunlap Avenue may be closed at times for local paving work. Dunlap Avenue also narrowed to one lane in both directions at times near I-17. DETOUR: Consider exiting southbound I-17 at Northern Avenue.
Times listed for weekend restrictions are subject to change. Some work can end ahead of schedule.
Real-time highway conditions are available on ADOT’s Arizona Traveler Information site at az511.gov by calling 511 and through ADOT’s Twitter feed, @ArizonaDOT.