Uptown Plaza’s revitalization efforts will take another step forward when West Elm opens its doors for the first time on Thursday, June 29 at 10:00 am. President of West Elm, Alex Bellos, spoke on the exciting venture, stating, “In the late 1950s, Uptown Plaza stood as the harbinger of retail shopping centers, once heralded for offering customers the amenities and conveniences that were ahead of its time. We are proud to be a part of the continued revitalization of this iconic mid-century modern shopping destination, and look forward to supporting Uptown Plaza’s celebration of small businesses, local artists and the North Central Phoenix community.”
In a nod to the heritage of the once booming plaza that was a landmark destination back in the 1950s, West Elm will incorporate motifs that from that era of time in the stores’ architecture.
The home furnishings store will also carry a wide variety of local products, placing a spotlight on 10 Arizona-based designers. These artists include:
• Celine + Kate: Linens and pillows handmade with eco-friendly ink
• Chase Warren Designs: Handcrafted furniture with a contemporary touch
• Citizen Home Decor: Wooden wall decors all made by hand
• Lettercraft: Wooden gifts and decor cut by lasers
• MB Art Studios: Scandinavian-influenced ceramics that are screen-printed
• Nanogram: Wood accessories engraved by a laser
• Paige Poppe: Watercolor prints that pay homage to beautiful Arizona landscapes
• Strange Birds Designs: Greeting cards designed by hand
• Woven by Ro: Macrame planters and wall art
• Zaaina: Beauty products made with 100% natural ingredients
West Elm will also team with one of the Phoenix artists mentioned above, Paige Poppe, in creating a tote bag as a way to commemorate the store opening. This bag will be available for the first 300 customers who spend at least $50.
West Elm is currently hiring and is located at 100 E. Camelback Rd. Suite 148 in Phoenix, Arizona.