Video: Glendale Firefighters Rescue Puppies From Burning House

A true heroic effort was captured on bodycam as Glendale Firefighters entered a burning house to save puppies and their mother.

During the early-morning hours of April 4, Firefighters were called to a home near 63rd Avenue and Maryland where a fire was underway.  According to the Glendale Fire Department, a person called 911 just before 1:30 a.m. after seeing smoke coming from their neighbor’s garage.

Once first responders arrived to the scene, neighbors communicated that the home had a litter of puppies, their mom and two other dogs inside the garage. The puppies cries could be heard from outside.

Firefighters found a fire in the attic that had burned through the roof and entered the residence to extinguish the flames.

Officers were able to pry the garage door open and the mother of the puppies ran out. Officers were able to follow the sound of cries to the seven puppies. The officers grabbed a dog bowl to help scoop the puppies up and safely remove the puppies from the burning home. The mother and the puppies were able to get out safely. Two additional adult dogs were rescued from the backyard of the home.

As the firefighters put out the house fire, police officers used FIDO bags to treat the puppies for smoke inhalation. The FIDO bags were donated by the Fetch Foundation, and are used to treat animals with oxygen after smoke inhalation.

The puppies were then taken to veterinarian for evaluation. Sadly, one of the puppies did not survive.

The Glendale Fire Department believe that the fire was started from a malfunctioned swamp cooler.

The homeowners were not home at the time of the fire. The house sustained significant damage.


Subscribe for Updates!

Be sure to check your email to confirm your subscription.