The price of tuition at Arizona public universities is set to increase next school year. The presidents of Arizona State University, University of Arizona, and Northern Arizona University and the Arizona Board of Regents released tuition proposals on Friday, and tuition will increase by 2.8 for residents and 4.8 for out-of-state students.
The president of the University of Arizona, Robert Robbins, proposed an increase of 2 percent for new in-state students and an increase of 1 percent for new out-of-state students.
The president of Northern Arizona University, Rita Cheng recommended an increase of 2.5 percent for new undergraduate students and an increase of 3 percent increase for students who aren’t on the university’s guaranteed tuition program.
Both schools said that current students won’t see an increase.
ASU also proposed a new structure for tuition and fees, and NAU proposed mandatory fees for mental health services and sustainability efforts.
If the proposals are approved, the new rates will be applied to new students starting the 2019-2020 school year.
“We appreciate the presidents’ work on these proposals and their commitment to maintain affordable options for students to obtain high-quality degrees at our public universities,” said Chair Ron Shoopman.
“The board looks forward to hearing from students and families at our public hearing and examining proposals in-depth at our tuition workshop before voting on tuition at our April meeting.”
Students can comment on the proposed tuition changes on April 2 from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. Comments can be made at several locations, including:
- ASU Tempe campus, Memorial Union, Turquoise Room.
- ASU West campus in Glendale, Verde Dining Pavilion Multipurpose, Room 104.
- ASU Polytechnic campus in Mesa, Peralta Hall, Room 145.
- ASU Downtown Phoenix campus, Student Center at the Post Office, San Carlos Conference Room.
- NAU Flagstaff campus, Babbitt Administrative Center, BAC 206.
- NAU Yuma campus, Arizona Western College, Academic Complex, AC Room 111.
- UA Tucson campus, Old Main, Silver and Sage Room.
- UA Sierra Vista campus, Academic Technology Building, B153.
Comments can also be made until April 8 at email@example.com , or they can be mailed to 2020 N. Central Ave., Suite 230, Phoenix, AZ, 85004.
The university presidents will present their recommendations on April 4, and the final tuition and fees will be set on April 11. Comments from the public will not be allowed on April 4 or 11.