Drivers will not face any full weekend closures for construction or maintenance work along Phoenix-area freeways and other state highways over the Memorial Day weekend.
The Arizona Department of Transportation will not schedule state highway closures from Friday afternoon through late Monday night, May 31, in order to limit impacts on holiday weekend travel.
ADOT encourages drivers to allow extra time, especially during peak travel periods, and be prepared for unscheduled highway closures due to crashes, disabled vehicles or other incidents such as wildfires.
Drivers also should prepare ahead of time for warmer weather conditions and stay alert when behind the wheel.
While no full construction closures are scheduled, drivers should prepare to slow down and merge safely when approaching and traveling through existing work zones. Motorists also should pack extra drinking water and other supplies in case of an unscheduled closure.
ADOT’s holiday weekend safety recommendations include:
- Never drive while impaired. Plan ahead to arrange for a designated driver or ride service
- Get some rest before traveling. Fatigue is a serious safety risk
- Buckle up, obey speed limits and avoid distractions. Don’t text while driving
- Check your vehicle, including tire pressure
- Don’t park in areas with grasses and brush – hot vehicle components could start a fire