Improvement projects will require closures or other restrictions on Phoenix-area freeways this weekend (Feb. 26-March 1), according to the Arizona Department of Transportation. Freeways to be closed include westbound Loop 101 (Pima Freeway) between State Route 51 and Seventh Street in north Phoenix. Drivers should allow extra travel time and consider alternate routes while the following weekend freeway restrictions are in place:
- Westbound Loop 101 (Pima Freeway) closed between State Route 51 (Piestewa Freeway) and Seventh Street from 10 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Monday (March 1) for widening project (pavement diamond grinding). Northbound SR 51 ramp to westbound Loop 101 closed. Westbound Loop 101 on-ramps at 56th Street and Cave Creek Road closed. DETOUR: Expect heavy traffic, delays and consider alternate routes. Westbound Loop 101 traffic can detour on southbound SR 51 and exit to westbound Union Hills Drive before using northbound Seventh Street to access Loop 101. Westbound Loop 101 drivers also can consider exiting at northbound 56th Street or Tatum Boulevard and using westbound Deer Valley Drive to southbound Seventh Street. Northbound SR 51 traffic can exit to northbound Black Mountain Boulevard and use westbound Deer Valley Drive to southbound Seventh Street.
- Eastbound Interstate 10 closed between the I-17 “Stack” interchange (east of 35th Avenue) and Seventh Street from 9 p.m. Friday to 9 a.m. Saturday (Feb. 27) for tunnel lighting work. Both I-17 ramps to eastbound I-10 at the Stack closed. DETOUR: Drivers can detour on southbound I-17 south of the downtown Phoenix area and reconnect with I-10 at the “Split” interchange near Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport.
- Central Avenue closed in both directions at Interstate 17 (south of downtown Phoenix) from 10 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Monday (March 1) for removal of old northbound freeway bridge as part of reconstruction project. DETOUR: Central Avenue traffic can detour via Buckeye or Broadway roads and use Seventh Avenue or Seventh Street. I-17 will remain open this weekend in current work zone (2 lanes in each direction) on the new southbound bridge over Central Avenue.
- Westbound State Route 24 (Gateway Freeway) on-ramp at Ellsworth Road (leading to Loop 202 Santan Freeway) in east Mesa closed from 9 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Monday (March 1) for dirt hauling operation. DETOUR: Drivers can use Ellsworth Road to westbound Elliot Road or use westbound Ray Road to northbound Hawes Road to access Loop 202. This SR 24 ramp closure is scheduled on weekends through early April. Note: Expect brief closures of Ellsworth Road near the intersection with SR 24 during overnight hours (7 p.m. to 5 a.m.) Sunday through Thursday nights until late June.
- Southbound Loop 101 (Agua Fria Freeway) narrowed to one lane overnight (left three lanes closed) in areas between Thunderbird Road and Interstate 10 in the West Valley from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. Sunday through Wednesday nights (Feb. 28-March 3) for pavement maintenance (crack sealing). ADOT is working to limit impacts on travel to COVID-19 Vaccination Site at State Farm Stadium. Crews will work within approximately 3-mile stretches each night. All southbound on- and off-ramps on the right side of the freeway will remain open during the week. DETOUR: Please allow extra travel time and use caution in work zones. Note: Drivers should prepare for overnight closures of the southbound Loop 101 off- and on-ramps at Maryland Avenue (via HOV lane near State Farm Stadium) as needed. Additional overnight Loop 101 maintenance work is planned during future weeks in March and April between Thunderbird Road and I-10. Restriction schedules will be updated on a weekly basis.