The Interstate 17 interchange at Happy Valley Road in north Phoenix will be closed this weekend (Oct. 9-12) for construction, according to the Arizona Department of Transportation. Drivers should allow extra travel time and consider alternate routes while the following weekend freeway restrictions are in place in the Phoenix area:
- All Interstate 17 on- and off-ramps at Happy Valley Road closed from 9 p.m. Friday to 5 p.m. Sunday (Oct. 11) for lane striping and other work needed to open the new Diverging Diamond interchange. Happy Valley Road closed in both directions approaching I-17 (between 23rd and 29th avenues). Plan on lane restrictions at the interchange until construction is completed this fall.
- Detour: Consider alternate routes including Deer Valley, Pinnacle Peak or Jomax roads. Access to local businesses along Happy Valley Road will be maintained.
- Eastbound Loop 101 (Pima Freeway) narrowed to two lanes between Cave Creek Road and State Route 51 from 10 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Monday (Oct. 12) for widening project.
- Detour: Please allow extra travel time and be prepared to slow down and merge safely when approaching and traveling through work zones.
- Eastbound Loop 101 (Pima Freeway) ramp to southbound SR 51 closed overnight from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. Friday through Monday nights (Oct. 9-12) for widening project.
- Detour: Alternate routes include southbound Cave Creek Road or Tatum Boulevard to Union Hills Drive.
- Eastbound Interstate 10 narrowed to one lane overnight near the Sacaton Rest Area (east of SR 587) from 6 p.m. to 5 a.m. Sunday and Monday nights (Oct. 11-12) for paving.
- Detour: Please allow extra travel time and be prepared to slow down and merge safely when approaching and traveling through work zones. Note: Drivers should expect similar nightly I-10 lane restrictions in the area between the Sacaton Rest Area and Casa Grande through late October.