For many Phoenix families, finding entertaining summer vacations without breaking the bank takes a lot of planning and a little bit of creativity. Fortunately, there are many ways to guarantee summer fun without forgoing savings goals or sacrificing the little things in life.
FirstBank on 5 tips to still enjoy summer without sacrificing fun.
Whether you’re road-tripping across the U.S. or settling in for a staycation, these savvy spending and saving tips from FirstBank will help your family enjoy all that summer has to offer:
1) Coupon cutting for the modern world. There are a handful of sites that offer discounts on cool summer outings and premium experiences. Download apps like Groupon, LivingSocial,TravelZoo, and DealChicken for some of the best deals out there. You can find bargain prices on tickets for sporting events and concerts, and experiences like horseback riding and whitewater rafting adventures.
2) Be a tourist in your own city. The Phoenix Metro area is home to many widely recognized landmarks and museums, such as the Heard Museum and Phoenix Art Museum. You’d be surprised at the numerous adventures your own (air-conditioned) backyard has to offer. Additionally, Phoenix borders some of the most unique landscapes in the nation. Despite the heat, the summer months are a good opportunity to check out the Sonoran Desert, Salt River, or Camelback Mountain. Most outdoor attractions adjust their schedules to accommodate early morning or late-night hours to avoid the hottest part of the day, while also avoiding the crowds.
3) Comb local event calendars. Many local TV stations, newspapers and hyper-local publications host community calendars on their websites. More often than not, organizations list discounted or free events to help drive traffic, including activities like outdoor movie nights, concerts in the park, and free days at the local zoo or museums. For example, the Desert Botanical Garden offers free entry every second Tuesday of the month.
4) Make your vacation, a staycation. You don’t need to travel outside of Arizona to truly “vacation.” Instead of spending money on expensive airline tickets, plan an extended weekend getaway within the state. Contact local resorts in the Phoenix area for their discounted summer rates or plan a trip to any of northern Arizona’s cooler communities like Flagstaff, Williams or Payson. Reducing travel expenses and avoiding tourist traps can double your budget and lessen money-related stress. You’ll be amazed by what you find right in your backyard.
5) Check out a Culture Pass. Culture Passes offer free admission to some of the Valley’s top cultural destinations and events including the Arizona Science Center, Desert Botanical Garden, Ballet Arizona, Heard Museum, and more. Culture Passes are available at participating local libraries on a first-come, first-served basis.
With these simple strategies, you’ll quickly be off on summer adventures without negatively impacting your savings goals. To lend a hand with your summer savings, FirstBank is offering anyone who opens an Anywhere Account a $300 bonus (certain restrictions apply). For more money saving and financial health tips, check out FirstBank’s “Smart Cents” blog a tefirstbankblog.com.